Friday, January 3, 2014

Paper wings



Paper wings.
Soon. Your dreams will fill the skies.
And rain drops. A symphony of highs.
Will dance to the tune of your heart.
You're but a seed but I already feel that need.
To cradle your head and stop even your eyelashes from falling.
I've fallen into a love deeper than I could ever feel.
I look around and I imagine the stillness of our home replaced with the rapidness of your tone.
I imagine you'd remind me of myself, we would have to keep all the valuables up on a shelf.
But most of all I imagine I'd just watch you stand on your tiptoes and pretend to fly with your beautiful little paper wings and candy colored dreams while smiling like I say the funniest things.
Last week we painted the walls of your room, a joyous shade of blue.
In the morning after you had your first cry I stared at your beautiful face,
And all my fears varnished without a trace,
And this incredible joy swept through my heart,
And all I wanted to do was dream beautiful dreams without sighs,
Because you and your paper wings make me believe again.
Its like I can feel every beat of your heart pulsing with glorious faith.
Its like your lips already speak words that soothe my soul.
Fly, high, never be afraid to fall.
Your mother and I would always be there to hold you back up,
And let you go out and find your dreams in this fragile reality.
God guide you as you open your eyes to each blessed day.
Never forget your paper wings, even when all isn't what it seems.
Even when difficult skies and turbulent clouds float by.
Know that they will not last if you believe in yourself.
Already you are more powerful than I would have ever believed.
You changed me, newness personified in every second.
Its like suddenly the lights are all turned on,
And I can see again, I can breathe again.
In the morning, I look at my reflection in the mirror and I see you.
Its been an incredible journey so far.
For seven years, we've been dreaming of the day you would hold our fingers in your tiny palms.
At night, I pray for you and your mother.
It wasn't always easy but God blessed her with the strength to take every step.
Sweltering heat and bumpy roads, were no matter because we had each other,
And we had you, and that always made everything better.
I still miss our long walks when you weren't ready.
Trying to guess which one of us you would look like.
She believed in me when not many did,
And I'll believe in you for as long as my heart beats,
And we'll teach you to love just as much as we'd be stern when you do wrong.
We'll always love you and you'll always be a piece of us no matter where you go.
So fly, rise,  with your beautiful paper wings and all those candy colored dreams.
And find true joy, peace and happiness and all it brings.




No comments: